The seven Quality Management System (QMS) principles are a set of guiding principles outlined in the ISO 9000 family of standards. These principles provide a foundation for establishing and improving quality management systems. Here are the seven QMS principles:
- Customer Focus: This principle emphasises the importance of understanding and meeting customer requirements. It involves identifying customer needs, exceeding their expectations, and enhancing customer satisfaction.
- Leadership: Effective leadership is essential for establishing a unified purpose and direction within an organisation. Leaders should create and maintain a supportive environment where employees are encouraged to contribute to the organisation’s objectives.
- Engagement of People: People at all levels of an organisation play a crucial role in achieving quality objectives. This principle emphasises the importance of involving and empowering employees, promoting teamwork, and recognising their contributions.
- Process Approach: Organisations achieve results more efficiently when activities and resources are managed as interrelated processes. This principle encourages a systematic approach to identifying, understanding, and managing processes to achieve desired outcomes.
- Improvement: Continual improvement is a fundamental principle in quality management. It involves establishing a culture of innovation, encouraging learning, and making evidence-based decisions to enhance performance, processes, and products.
- Evidence-based Decision Making: Effective decisions are based on the analysis and evaluation of data and information. This principle highlights the importance of using factual information to make informed decisions that can lead to desired outcomes.
- Relationship Management: Organisations are interdependent and rely on relationships with various stakeholders. This principle emphasises the importance of managing relationships with suppliers, partners, and other interested parties to create value for all parties involved.
These principles provide a framework for organisations to establish and maintain effective quality management systems, leading to improved customer satisfaction, organisational performance, and sustained success.